Tostoday Tech Store

Thursday, August 18, 2011

How To Record Your Linux Computer

Right now, there is no excellent, easy to use screen recorder in a Linux based system. The good news is that these software options are free and one I recommended to all computer users.

1. Terminal Command- this produces a high quality recording on the fly without any conversion process. It saves the session into your home folder. Make sure you have all the codecs installed including ffmpeg. This command seems best for me:

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 15 -s 1360x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv

2. GTK Record My Desktop- an easy to use recorder except now it takes forever to convert the video because the on the fly recording doesn't work, at least not for me. If you have time, then fine.

3. Kazam- I recommend this one, easy to use software resulting in a quality recording file, no waiting, on the fly recording.

4. Tibesti- a new one, in my initial tests showed some promise with some bugs. I like this one because of more encoding options. We'll see how polished this one becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment